Table of Contents
- A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Sell Fine Jewelry on Amazon
- Step 1. You must meet all sellers requirements.
- Step 2. After meeting all the requirements above, it’s time to apply for approval.
- Step 3. Mind the general requirements.
- Step 4. Comply with Amazon’s product quality requirements.
- Step 5. Don’t brush off the product listing requirements.
- Step 6. Follow Amazon’s main product image requirements to improve buyers’ shopping experience.
- Step 7. The product image requirements are flexible for additional image views.
- Photographing Jewelry on a White Background Made Easy!
Do you want to sell fine jewelry on Amazon but don’t know where and how to start?
Aside from the local and federal import, export, and safety regulations, Amazon implements strict rules and requirements for selling fine jewelry on its platform, and it requires an ample amount of time as you would have to read all the help files to ensure that you don’t miss anything or you risk getting terminated or suspended. But worry not! In here, you’ll find all the crucial dos and don’ts, tips, and other requirements to kick off your fine jewelry store on Amazon. So, read through!
Your Ultimate Guide to Starting Your Jewelry Online Business Is selling jewelry online worth the effort? Definitely! Shopping for jewelry is here to stay. It has stood the test of...
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Sell Fine Jewelry on Amazon
Amazon ensures that all fine jewelry sellers are aware of and follow the rules and regulations to guarantee a satisfying shopping experience. The following rules and regulations are in place to emphasize its non-negotiable commitment to consumer safety, product quality, and branding. When buyers go to Amazon, Amazon wants them to feel confident that every jewelry piece they will purchase on the site is of high-quality and authentic, so make sure you don’t miss any of the steps below.
Step 1. You must meet all sellers requirements.
1. Upgrade your account to a Professional Selling Plan, if you haven’t upgraded yet. This plan must be maintained for as long as you’re selling jewelry on the platform.
2. Novice sellers are not allowed to sell fine jewelry on Amazon. You must be an existing Amazon seller with at least 12 months of selling experience on the platform and annual revenue of $50,000 within the Amazon site only.
3. You must have one (or more) brick-and-mortar store and annual revenue of $50,000 to be eligible to sell fine jewelry on Amazon
4. Ensure that your account health is in stellar condition before applying. Sellers whose defect rate is more than 1%, cancellation rate of more than 2.5%, and a late shipment rate of more than 4% will have their fine jewelry application rejected. You can check your account metrics by going to ‘Performance’ and ‘Account Health.’
Step 2. After meeting all the requirements above, it’s time to apply for approval.
1. Only approved sellers of fine jewelry are allowed to sell on Amazon. To request for approval, simply login to your seller account, click ‘Add a Product’ under your ‘Inventory’, Look for your existing fine jewelry item and click ‘Request for Approval.’ Once you clicked it, you can proceed with completing the application form and submit it when you’re done.
2. Do take note that sellers who apply to sell fine jewelry on Amazon are required to pay a non-refundable application fee of $5,000. Make sure that you meet all requirements above including the fine jewelry terms and conditions as this fee will not be returned to you even if you fail to meet the Fine Jewelry Application Review.
3. Once approved, you can start selling fine jewelry on Amazon and begin creating detailed product pages for all of your items under the fine jewelry category.
Step 3. Mind the general requirements.
1. Amazon has stringent Jewelry Quality Assurance Standards covering every metal, material, finish, findings, settings, construction, and measurement among many others. Make sure you meet every point to avoid any consequences such as termination or suspension of the account.
Additionally, you must also participate in Amazon’s jewelry quality assurance review. Upon participation, be ready to send up to six (6) fine jewelry items for Amazon’s review upon their request. Be aware that you will shoulder all shipping charges for this including a prepaid return label. You will also shoulder all customs fees and clearances. Amazon is not responsible for any item lost or damaged during this process.
2. Avoid complaints concerning an item not as described by listing your fine jewelry as characterized in the images and product descriptions. Be as detailed as possible.
Further, you will also encounter an ongoing listing quality assurance in which Amazon will review your jewelry listings periodically with or without notifying you. However, Amazon will notify you if ever they decide to revoke your selling privileges for any reason following this review.
In the event of revocation, you may wish to reapply. Make sure that when you submit a reapplication, you also review and update your jewelry listing to ensure that you meet Amazon’s program policies. Keep in mind that upon approval of your reapplication, Amazon still has the right to limit your product listing placement on the site and in its search results.
3. Categorize your product properly. Be wary of the difference between fine jewelry and fashion jewelry. If unsure, consult Amazon’s Categorization of Fine vs. Fashion Jewelry guidelines. As a brief orientation, fashion jewelry does not contain any precious and/or semi-precious stones and is not made of precious and semi-precious metals such as gold, vermeil, silver, and platinum families.
4. Amazon does not tolerate trademark and intellectual property rights violations, Make sure your fine jewelry products are authentic. If you’re a seller with a trademarked brand, enroll it in Amazon Brand Registry for your protection.
5. Are any of your items priced at more than $300,000? Be aware that these items are prohibited in the jewelry category.
6. Only sell authentic fine jewelry products.
Step 4. Comply with Amazon’s product quality requirements.
1. Ensure that your fine jewelry item is new and authentic. Amazon does not allow selling of pre-owned vintage jewelry.
2. Be as keen as possible so as not to miss a single point in Jewelry Quality Standards and the material specification guidelines as outlined in the Federal Trading Commission (FTC) guidelines.
3. Ensure that your fine jewelry meets the product safety standards as outlined in the Consumer Product Safety Commission guidelines.
4. Be diligent in the implementation of quality control and other inspection processes and procedures.
Step 5. Don’t brush off the product listing requirements.
1. List your fine jewelry item in accordance with Amazon’s jewelry style guide as shown in the image below. Don’t forget to download your complete Jewelry Style Guide on Amazon’s Seller Central page.
2. List each fine jewelry item separately while avoiding duplicate product descriptions. Further, ensure that its detail pages are not similar to other sellers’ detail pages because Amazon may merge duplicate detail pages and/or identical products.
3. Do not use trademarked brand names in any of your item detail pages (title, product descriptions, title, keywords, etc.) unless the product belongs to that brand name.
4. Your fine jewelry product listing must bear complete data specifications and attributes as outlined in the Jewelry Product Data guidelines.
5. Avoid any offensive item in the product listing page. Ensure that it is appropriate for all ages and the global community.
Step 6. Follow Amazon’s main product image requirements to improve buyers’ shopping experience.
1. Amazon has very specific product image requirements covering the technical and non-technical aspects. Ensure that you meet all aspects of this requirement including the following:
- File format: [TIFF (.tif/.tiff), JPEG (.jpeg/.jpg), GIF (.gif) and PNG (.png)];
- Image pixel dimensions: At least 1000 or larger in height or width.
- Color mode: RGB or CMYK
- File names: don’t forget to include the product identifier elements (Amazon ASIN, 13-digit ISBN, EAN, JAN, or UPC) followed by a period and the appropriate file extension (Example: B000123456.jpg or 0237425673485.tif). Don’t add other characters, dashes, and spaces to avoid any errors.
2. Only use professional photographs of the fine jewelry items you’re selling. Do not use drawings or illustrations.
3. Do not add additional objects that may confuse the buyers.
4. The fine jewelry image must be in focus and professionally lit. It must also show accurate or realistic colors and edges.
5. The jewelry product must fill 85% or more of the image frame.
6. The full product must be in the frame so that the buyers can examine it better.
7. Backgrounds must be pure white (RGB 255,255,255).
8. Do not add texts, graphics, and inset images in the jewelry photographs.
Step 7. The product image requirements are flexible for additional image views.
1. Backgrounds and environments are allowed for additional product images (not the main image).
2. Graphics and texts are allowed.
3. Props and other objects are allowed to help demonstrate scale.
4. The additional images, similar to the main image, must be in focus, professionally lit and photographed, with realistic color.
Photographing Jewelry on a White Background Made Easy!
Undoubtedly, Amazon prefers to see your products on a white background, especially if it’s the main image. The reason being is that a white background draws interested buyers into your page since it looks neat and less distracting.
Unlike the additional images that allow backgrounds and a little bit of styling, products on a white background are eye-catching and enable buyers to have a clear view of the product details. Further, the absence of props makes your product understand; therefore, avoiding confusion. As we mentioned at the outset, Amazon wants its buyers to be confident when purchasing fine jewelry on the platform, and the product image requirements reflect exactly that.
If you need help photographing jewelry on a white background, don’t worry. GemLightbox has made it easy to photograph fine jewelry items on a white background. Watch the video below to see how we photographed a bracelet on a pure white background using just a smartphone within seconds!
The Result: (No retouching done. Just an image of a bracelet straight out of the camera phone)
Now that you know how and where to start, are you ready (and eligible) to kick off your Amazon fine jewelry store?
Let us know in the comment section below!